Wednesday, March 5, 2008

impropriety.

An e-mail sent out on the first year listserve earlier today (bold for emphasis):

" We had an interesting conversation in PBL today and I feel convicted to share with everyone. We all need to work together to keep the average close to 70 so that EVERYONE can pass. I know everyone has been working hard. We all want to do well, but let's think about the success of the entire class for this exam instead of individual success.
I've never had micro and I feel like I got hit by an 18-wheeler with all this information. Four weeks has not been enough time to digest everything (and I think I speak for a lot of people in the class). Of course I want everyone to study hard and learn the material...but maybe those of you who are comfortable with the material (you know who you are) could intentionally miss a few questions to keep the average down...many of us would greatly appreciate it.
Honor council people please don't kill me but I just don't want to see people fail! If we all work together on this as a class I think everyone will benefit! The rumors are out that we're a bit too competitive and that would make me a liar because I told the 7 applicants that I interviewed that we weren't like that. I don't want to start a class-wide mass email frenzy with people's opinions so everyone just go along with it!!!"

Wow. Who's going to go along with that?? I mean, theirs is a class of gunners to begin with, but this is still medical school after all. Nobody is going to throw points away "for the good of the class."

And some loving continuations circulated on our class listserve...
"This is genius, I think we should let the word out to the other schools about this, and maybe have a nation wide movement where we all try to miss as many questions on the Boards as possible so that everyone can be a doctor! Wouldn't that be great?"
"
I would like to make a plea to all of you to please try and keep you Boards scores down at about the 130 level. PittSOM is getting a reputation for being too competitive, but I figured that if we keep it low, then the rest of the country will follow suit and residencies will be forced to look at applicants based on whatever else we contribute besides our score number. I am only thinking of all of you and for all of our benefit!!!"
"Also, for future consideration, if everyone on your surgery service kills a patient, then each of you won't look as bad. Think about it."

Even the 4th years joined in:
"Wow...I don't know what's scarier - the recent spate of college shootings or that plea..."

This is what makes medical school...interesting.

No comments: